Search site

We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties with our phone lines and we're working on restoring them as quickly as possible. Apologies if you have been trying to get through to us. If you need to make a payment or report an issue please use the Do it Online section of the website. We will be updating our Twitter and Facebook sites with updates on the situation.


Noise Nuisance

If you are having problems with noise, we can help - and we may be able to take action if a 'statutory nuisance' can be proved.

What can I do about noise coming from someone's land or house?

  • If you can, try to speak to the person causing the noise before you contact us
  • You could write to them instead
  • People might not realise their noise is causing problems and letting them know how it affects you may resolve the issue.

What if I don't feel happy speaking to the person, or if this doesn't help?

  • Contact us and tell us about the noise problem
  • You could take your own legal action
  • Mediation is another option, contact us for advice

How we can help?

We can help or advise about noise, including:

  • Barking dogs
  • Building sites
  • Burglar and car alarms
  • Factories and noisy deliveries
  • Nightclubs and pubs
  • Noisy neighbours
  • Outdoor music events and parties
  • Shops and restaurants

How will we investigate your complaint?

  • We can write to the person responsible, if you agree and tell them about the complaint, asking them to try and prevent any more problems
  • We ask you to keep a diary for two weeks, detailing when you hear the noise and how it affects you
  • If the noise still carries on, we have to try and witness the noise to see if it is considered a 'statutory nuisance'
  • We may then take further legal action if appropriate.

What is a 'Statutory Nuisance'?

There's no strict definition in law. It can be described as 'an unreasonable interference with the enjoyment of your property'. It must occur regularly and continue for a period of time that makes it unreasonable.

More information

We don't have legal powers to deal with noise from aircraft, moving traffic, or noise in the street from people. Our 'Noise' leaflet has more information on what you can do. Please check out the other websites for more information and advice - for example, there is a link to information about Military Aircraft.