Search site

Special Parking Permissions (Dispensation)

Where it is essential that a vehicle is parked close to the property in order to carry out works, and the impact on other road users, businesses or pedestrians, is kept to a minimum. A dispensation notice can be granted.

Short term dispensation

If you require up to five cones to assist in allocating space for a short term dispensation on street; such as for removal lorries, please contact us on 01822 813600. Cones can be collected from our offices.

Cones are free for collection and a form will be completed with the collector's info and the date that they are due to be returned. If the cones are not returned, a charge of £5.00 per cone will be levied.

How do I apply for a Dispensation Notice?

To apply for a dispensation notice for a council-controlled car park, please contact our Customer Services Team.

For information about on-street parking dispensations please visit the Devon County Council website. The Borough Council no longer offers this service. You can apply for a works dispensation permit online. There is a charge for this service.

As this is a fully online service: a valid email address, printing facilities, and a debit or credit card will be required . Cash and cheques cannot be accepted as a method of payment. A Dispensation Notice that must be printed and display on the vehicle dashboard, will be emailed to you. If you need help with your online application, or if you don't have access to the internet, please call the Devon County Council Customer Services Team. Follow the link to Devon County Council Contact Details.

What does a Dispensation Notice cover?

A Dispensation Notice will allow extended parking at or near the place of works in permit holder bays , on-street Pay & display, Limited waiting bays

In special circumstances, permission may be granted to wait on single yellow lines, Loading bays, In zonal areas, (e.g. pedestrian zones, but only if no other parking or waiting alternatives nearby could be used, and it is safe to do so)

When do I need to apply?

Applicants will need to submit their requests and the relevant payment no less than one working day in advance of the start date of works, and no later than 4pm on a Friday if required for weekend working or for a following Monday morning .

Dispensations cannot be issued on the day, and contractors must park legally whilst waiting for the dispensation notice to be sent back via email.

Can my application be refused?

Yes, Devon County Council reserve the right to refuse an application where it considers the vehicle is not essential to the works, or offer an alternative location nearby if more appropriate. Vehicles being used for personal travel to and from a work site are not eligible for dispensations, and must be parked legally elsewhere on street, or use off-street car parks.

Do any vehicles have exemptions from parking regulations?

Exemptions do exist for contractors on emergency call-outs for gas, water, or sewerage leaks, glazing repairs, or mains electrical repairs. In emergency repair situations, we recommend you advise Devon County Council where you are working and obtain a permission call reference to display on the dashboard, along with your contact details on business headed paper