Privacy and Personal Data
West Devon Borough Council are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy and will inform you of how we process your information.
To enable us to deliver services to you, we may collect and process the following types of information provided by you:
- Email Address
- Telephone number
- Employment history
- Bank account and payment card details
- Computer IP addresses and website usage statistics
Additionally, depending on the services you receive from the Council, we may collect and process information including:
- Physical or medical information
- Religious beliefs or similar beliefs
- Racial or ethnic origin information
- Whether you are a member of a trade union
- Political opinions and political affiliations
- Your sexual orientation
- The commission or alleged commission of an offence by you
Your data and privacy rights are protected by law.
The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives you control over your data and you are able to control the personal data we, or our partners, collect about you.
How we handle your information will vary depending on how you interact with us. Privacy notices will set out details of how we process your information, how long we'll keep it for and who we'll share it with for each service and process.
Your privacy rights include the right to make a request to:
- access the personal data we hold about you
- correct your personal data
- restrict our use of your personal data
- port your data to another data controller
- erase your personal data
To register a request under GDPR, please contact Data.Protection@swdevon.gov.uk
Please refer to the following privacy notices for more information:
What are Cookies and why are they used?
Cookies are small text files which identify your computer to our server. They are widely used on the internet to make websites work, or work more efficiently. We send these to your computer for the following reasons:
- To tailor the website to your browser.
- To help us analyse the use of the website.
- To allow applications on our website to work correctly - for example, making sure that we know when you have logged on or off and which part of an application you are accessing.
If we want to collect personally identifiable information through the website - for example when you request a service from us - we will tell you beforehand. We will make it clear when we collect this information and will explain what we intend to do with it.
Removing and/or Managing Cookies
For further information on removing cookies specific to your browser model, please click on one of the following links:
Internet Explorer (IE):
- Click here for a description of information that websites store on your computer in cookies
- Click here for a description of cookies and how to manage them in Firefox.
- Click here for information on clearing your cache and cookies
- For more information from Google Chrome about managing your privacy settings please see: