If you are on a low income you may be able to apply for Council Tax Reduction

How can I apply for Council Tax Reduction?

If you think you might qualify then please click here to apply now.

If you are not sure if you  qualify, please use our Benefits Calculator.

You will need to register for an account on our system.

To complete the form you will need to have the following information to hand:

  • Your council tax account number. This can be found on your most recent bill
  • Two forms of ID
  • Your National Insurance Number
  • Your partner's national insurance number (if applicable)
  • Income details - usually your last three payslips and last three bank statements
  • Details of any benefits your household currently receives


What is the Council Tax Reduction Scheme?

The Council Tax Reduction scheme is a local scheme which replaces what used to be called Council Tax Benefit. To qualify you must be on a low or limited income and be the person responsible for paying the bill. You will not normally qualify for a reduction if you have savings and/or investments of more than £16,000.

Our scheme is for working-age customers. By working age we mean anyone aged between 16 and who has not reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit or has attained the qualifying age and is also in receipt of income support, income based jobseeker's allowance or an income-related employment and support allowance.

If you claim state pension credit, the Government scheme is still in place. You can contact the Pension Service for more information.

Like Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction is means-tested.  This means that we need details about your income and capital to work out how much we can award.

For more details, please see Council Tax Reduction.