Nuisance Reports During Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

Due to the current Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic Government Guidelines we are unable to carry out visits in response to nuisance reports at this time.

We would like to encourage all residents to be considerate towards their neighbours during these extraordinary times, and if you are being affected by a nuisance caused by a neighbouring property we would encourage you to contact your neighbour informally to let them know that they are causing you a problem.

Contacting your neighbour must be done in a way that meets the government’s current social distancing rules. You could write your neighbour a letter, or speak with them on the telephone. We have letter templates here which can help you with this

You might also be able to take your mind off the issue by finding distractions within your home.

If you have tried the above and are still experiencing the problem or feel it is not appropriate, we are able to give you advice on nuisance issues over the phone; please contact us via email at We are unable to investigate anonymous reports.

What can I do about noise coming from someone's land or house?

  • If you can, try to speak to the person causing the noise before you contact us.
  • If you don't feel happy speaking to them you could write to them instead.
  • People might not realise their noise is causing problems and letting them know how it affects you may resolve the issue.

How we can help?

We can help or advise about noise, including:

  • Barking Dogs
  • Building sites
  • Burglar and car alarms
  • Factories and noisy deliveries
  • Nightclubs and pubs
  • Noisy neighbours
  • Outdoor music events and parties
  • Shops and restaurants

We cannot help with:

  • Noise from aircraft
  • Noise from  moving traffic
  • Noise from people in the street
  • Noise from construction between the hours of 8.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. Monday to Friday, and Saturday 8.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.

How do I report a noise nuisance?

You can  to us and we will investigate. 

How will we investigate your complaint?

  • We can write to the person responsible, if you agree, and tell them about the complaint, asking them to try and prevent any more problems
  • We ask you to keep a diary for two weeks, detailing when you hear the noise and how it affects you
  • If the noise still carries on, we have to try and witness the noise to see if it is considered a 'statutory nuisance'. We will make up to 3 visits to try and witness the noise. This may also include the use of noise monitoring equipment.

What is a 'Statutory Nuisance'?

There's no strict definition in law. It can be described as 'an unreasonable interference with the enjoyment of your property'. It must occur regularly and continue for a period of time that makes it unreasonable.