Toggle menu

Dangerous Wild Animal Licence

If you wish to keep an animal considered to be wild, dangerous or exotic, you will need to obtain a licence under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

The purpose of this licence is to make sure that there is no risk posed to the public and to safeguard the welfare of the animals.

No person may keep any dangerous wild animal without first obtaining a licence from their Local Authority.

Click here to see the full list of animals you need a licence for

How do I apply?

To apply for a Dangerous Wild Animal Licence, please contact us using

How much will it cost?

There is a fee which must be paid at the time an application is made.

Pay Now

For this year's fees please view our Fees and Charges page.

The applicant will also be required to pay the cost of the inspection carried out by the Councils authorised Veterinary surgeon / practitioner.

How long does a Licence last?

A licence lasts for a maximum of 2 years.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email