Up To £18k Restart Grants Give West Devon Businesses A Boost
7 April 2021
From beauty salons and book shops to campsites and village halls, many local businesses could get a cash boost of up to £18,000. South Hams District and West Devon Borough Councils open applications for the Government's new Restart Grant on 8 April to give practical financial support as our high streets prepare to reopen safely.
The Government's Restart Grant is a one-off payment for businesses that mainly offer in-person services to the public and have been impacted by lockdown closures. It is available in two strands.
Non-essential retail businesses, such as gift stores or florists, are in Strand One and could receive a one-off grant up to £6,000 to help them to reopen safely from April 12, 2021.
Hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care and gym businesses, covering everything from animal groomers to pubs and B&Bs, are covered by Strand Two. These business could receive up to £18,000 as they may open later under the plans laid out in the Government's roadmap or may be more restricted.
How much is the grant worth?
The amount eligible businesses will receive depends on their rateable value.
For non-essential retail businesses, the following thresholds apply:
- Businesses with a rateable value of exactly £15,000 or under on 1 April 2021 will receive a payment of £2,667.
- Businesses with a rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000 on 1 April 2021 will receive a payment of £4,000.
- Businesses with a rateable value of exactly £51,000 or over on 1 April 2021 will receive a payment of £6,000.
For hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care and gyms, the following thresholds apply:
- Businesses with a rateable value of exactly £15,000 or under on 1 April 2021 will receive a payment of £8,000.
- Businesses with a rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000 on 1 April 2021 will receive a payment of £12,000.
- Businesses with a rateable value of exactly £51,000 or over on 1 April 2021 will receive a payment of £18,000.
Who is eligible?
To qualify for a grant, your business must:
- Be registered for Business Rates and have premises on the Council's rating list on 1 April 2021
- Be trading on 1 April 2021 (carrying on a trade or profession, or buying and selling goods or services in order to generate turnover)
- Not be in liquidation, dissolved, struck off or subject to a striking-off notice.
How to apply
To apply, go to the Councils' websites to fill in a simple form:
To keep the process quick and easy for you, and to make sure you are paid the grant as soon as possible, please have the following information ready to share, including:
- Your original application number; this is your five digit reference number beginning RP/*****
- Number of employees
- A short description of your current business activity
- Your business type and the main service you provide
- The date your business was established
- Your Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code - you can find this on the ONS website
- Your contact and bank details, including a copy of your most recent bank statement as proof of trading
When will the payment be made?
Grants will be paid direct to the account registered. If all the correct information is submitted, the team aim to make payments within three weeks of the initial application.
Please be aware that the Restart Grant is taxable income and will need to be included in the tax return of your business.
The Restart Grant replaces the Local Restrictions Support Grant (LRSG) and is being paid alongside ongoing ARG grants. If your business is not eligible for a Restart Grant, please complete the updated ARG Grant form which is available from 8 April 2021 here:
To stay up-to-date on business news and information, please sign up for the Councils' newsletter.