After this time, most businesses must pay full business rates.
Some properties can get empty property relief for a longer period:
- Industrial premises (such as warehouses) that are empty do not have to pay business rates for six months.
- Listed buildings that are empty are exempt until re-occupied.
- Buildings with a Rateable Value (RV) of under £2,900 are exempt until re-occupied
- Properties owned by charities are exempt, as long as the next use of the property is also for charitable purposes
- Community Amateur Sports Clubs are exempt, as long as the next use of the property is also as a sports club.
Certain properties do not have to pay business rates, whether occupied or not:
- Agricultural land and buildings
- Buildings used for the welfare or training of disabled people
- Buildings which are registered for public religious worship or church halls.
How do I apply?
Please contact the business rates team using the online enquiry form