Toggle menu

Money and Debt Advice

Benefits, grants and support

  • Most benefits claims are dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), but there are some occasions where people need to claim Housing Benefit from the Council. Please see our Make a New Claim page for more information, or go to the Gov.UK website.
  • Free school meals are administered by Devon County Council for all Devon maintained schools. They are also responsible through a traded agreement for free school meals with Devon academies. You can also Call 0345 155 1019.
  • The DWP offer Budgeting Loans to people in receipt of benefits to help cover the costs of unexpected expenses. This could be furniture and household goods, costs linked to moving house, funerals or maternity costs. They are interest free and repayments are taken from your benefits.
  • The Household Support Fund can help if you are facing hardship or emergency, including struggling to pay bills or afford food. 
  • You can find help to buy food and milk for children under four or mothers over 10 weeks pregnant at Healthy Start website.
  • Citizens Advice has a range of information if you are struggling financially. You can get help with the cost of living, help with debt, budgeting, mortgage problems and much more. 

Other Sources of help

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email