Toggle menu

Cost of Living Help

Looking for Extra Help?

Make sure you visit our Support Directory, where you can find information about a wide range of help available in the Community.

This includes local warm spaces, financial assistance, help with energy costs and support for vulnerable people.

Visit the Support Directory

Household Support Fund

The Household Support Fund can help if you are facing hardship or emergency, including struggling to pay bills or afford food. 

Find out more at Household Support Fund.

Support Directory

Our Support Directory has contact details for partners and charities that can help with a wide range of issues, including foodbanks, mobility assistance, caring, mental health and more.

Visit the Support Directory

Free Cookers, Cookbooks and Electric Blankets

The Council has secured funding to provide free slow cookers, electric blankets and throws, clothes airers and cookbooks to residents in need. We are working in partnership with South Dartmoor Community Energy (SDCE) and Tamar Energy Community (TEC), who will target foodbanks and warm hubs to distribute these.

Electric throws are very economical - costing from as little as 5p per hour to run, especially when you compare them with the cost of keeping your central heating on for hours or heating rooms you're not actually using.

Slow cookers cost an average of 8p per hour, instead of 68p per hour for a traditional oven or cooker.

Clothes airers drying clothes on an airer indoors (with a window open to avoid damp) or outside, to shorten or even avoid the tumble dryer completely, can heavily cut costs. Tumble driers cost up to £1 per cycle.

For more information, please contact 

Help with paying your Council Tax

There are several ways you can pay your Council Tax which are listed on the back of your Council Tax bill. You can pay by 10 or 12 monthly instalments for the annual bill. The bills are sent out with 10 instalments - if you'd like to pay over 12 instead, please set up your direct debit.

If you're on a low income, you may be eligible for Council Tax Reduction. Find out and apply on the Make a New Claim page.

If you're not eligible for Council Tax Reduction, you may be able to apply for Universal Credit or other benefits. See below for how to check your benefit entitlement.

Other people may qualify for a discount or exemption on their Council Tax, including:

  • Students
  • Carers and care workers
  • Single adults
  • Disabled residents
  • People with enduring mental health problems

To find out more, please see Reductions - Discounts and Exemptions.

Check your benefit entitlement

Many working people are entitled to additional help and support, including working tax credits and child tax credits.

You can check your benefit entitlement online using the calculator below:

Benefits Calculator

Energy Bills Support Scheme - Alternative Funding Payment

The Government has announced extra support for households with increased energy bills, who have not received the Energy Rebate from their energy supplier for the property that they live in as their main residence. 

The scheme is designed to help people who do not receive their energy bill in the usual way, but have still suffered an increase in the amount they pay. This may include (but is not limited to):

  • care home residents,
  • park home residents,
  • tenants who pay for electricity through a landlord on a commercial supply,
  • off-grid homes,
  • domestic farms paying on a commercial supply etc.

The support for those that apply and are eligible will be a one-off, non-repayable payment of £400.

We have no further details about this scheme at the moment, and although we are receiving enquiries about it, we are unable to help. All information will be published on the Gov.UK website, so please check regularly for updates.

Help with money, employment and training

You can find help and advice with money and debt from any of the services below:

Help with broadband and phone packages

Social tariffs can provide a safety net for customers who might be struggling to afford their broadband or phone services.

Ofgem have produced a list of broadband and mobile services which you may be eligible for.

Cheaper broadband and phone packages

Winter energy bills discount

The government is providing extra support with energy bills over the winter months through the Energy Bills Support Scheme. All households with a domestic electricity connection in Great Britain are eligible for the £400 discount.

There is no need to apply, energy suppliers will pay the grant over six months. Payments start from October 2022, to ensure households receive financial support.

Energy bills support scheme

Cost of living payments (for people on means-tested benefits)

Residents on means-tested benefits are set to receive Cost of Living Payments directly from the government, totalling £650. 

Since 14 July 2022, the government has been automatically paying the first installment of £326 to eligible households to help with cost of living pressures. The remaining amount will follow in a second instalment in the autumn.

Find out more at Cost of living payments.

Cost of Living Support

Find out more about government's cost of living support package, providing help for households with rising prices, targeted at those most in need.

Help for households

Saving Energy

Visit the government website for home improvement ideas that could make your property cheaper to heat and keep it warm.

Council Tax Rebate

The Government's £150 Council Tax Energy Rebate Scheme and Discretionary fund have now closed, and no further payments can be made.

If you are struggling with the rising cost of living, please see our Household Support Fund and Support Directory to find details of organisations which can help.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email