This guide will help guide you through the process of reporting various types of nuisances like noise, smoke, odours, drainage and anti-social behaviour.

Councils must investigate complaints about issues that could be a ‘statutory nuisance’ (a nuisance covered by the Environmental Protection Act 1990).

If they agree that a statutory nuisance is happening, has happened or will happen in the future, councils must serve an abatement notice (usually on the person responsible).