Importing and Exporting Food

If you're planning to import or export food in the UK, you can find more information here.

Exporting Food

If you have a food business and want to sell your produce abroad, first you need to Register Your Business with us. You may also be required to have a food export health certificate.


  • Initial set up fee (from 1 Apr 2024) - £180.00
  • Food export certificate (from 1 Apr 2024) - £75.00
  • Amendment to existing Certificate (in addition to renewal fee) - £22.00
  • If we have to re-issue a certificate the original fee will need to be paid again.

Apply for a food export health certificate

Contact the embassy or consulate of the country you want to export to and they'll tell you the information needed for a certificate to be issued. You can send this information using our email.

We'll then inspect your business to verify the food produced complies with UK legislation and we may make additional checks, depending on the wording required on the certificate.

Further information about exporting goods is available on the GOV.UK website.

Importing Food

All food import products which are of animal origin, such as meat and dairy products which are from countries outside the EU must enter the UK through designated Border Inspection Posts.

If you want to import food into the UK visit the Food Standards Agency Imports page for information.