Register a Food Business

If your business handles, stores, processes or sells food, you must register it with the council. This includes catering businesses run from home, mail order, food deliveries and mobile or temporary premises, such as stalls and vans.

When you start a new food business or take over an existing business, you must register it with the council. You should do this at least 28 days before trading or before food operations start.

If you are already trading and have not registered, you need to do so as soon as possible.

Register a Food Business

Registration is free.

If you are operating a mobile food business (ice-cream vans, other food or drink vans), these must be registered with the Council for the location where the vehicle is normally kept or stored overnight.

You can find more information on the Starting a Food Business page at the Food Standards Agency.


Food businesses that make, prepare or handle meat, fish, egg or dairy products for supply to other businesses may require approval by a local authority and not registration.

If you are unsure whether you need approval, check Applying for approval of a food establishment guidance or contact us on our email.