South Hams District Council and West Devon Borough Council ("The Councils") take your privacy seriously.
We will use your information in order to provide payment for goods and services and to ensure we are paid for services we are obliged to render a charge for. This notice sets out what we will do with your personal information and who we may share it with in respect of the above.
What information about you do we collect?
We collect the following information:
- Contact information (telephone number, email address)
- Bank account details
How do we collect information about you?
Relevant personal data will be collected:
- Directly from you as the data subject
- From web searches, especially when attempting to chase debts.
- From Companies House, either for creditors or debtors
How will your personal data be used?
Your personal data will be used in the following ways:
- Information is used to enable the performance of a contract whereby we have agreed to pay for goods or services. The payment may be made by Bacs transfer or by payment card.
- Information is used to contact debtors so that we receive payment for chargeable services.
The Legal basis for processing your data
- Article 6 1(b): processing is necessary for the compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject. We process this information to meet our legal requirement of the Local Government Finance Act 1988.
Who will your personal data be shared with?
Some information may be published as required by the Public Contracts Regulations 2015, the Local Government (Transparency Requirements) (England) Regulations 2015 legislation, and the recommended requirements for greater disclosure in the Local Government Transparency Code.
We may share this information with partner organisations for business processing, analysis and the prevention and detection of fraud. This includes debt collection agencies, courts or bailiffs where appropriate.
We may also share certain data with other public bodies, such as DWP, HMRC and The Police and will do so where required.
We will also generally comply with requests for specific information from regulatory and law enforcement bodies.
Information is also analysed internally to help us improve our service.
The Councils will never sell your data to anyone else.
Transferring of data outside the EU
Your data will not be transferred outside the EU. It will be securely stored electronically within the UK only, unless it was necessary for safeguarding or for the prevention and detection of crime.
Length of time we keep your information
We will only keep your data for as long as necessary and in line with our retention and disposal procedures. However, if required we will hold your data for longer in order to support any debt recovery action or when the creditor/debtor record is still active.
You have a number of rights under the General Data Protection Regulations. These can be found on the ICO website.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please Email.
The Data Controller for your information
West Devon Borough Council
Data Protection Officer
The Council has a duty to appoint a Data Protection Officer. The Council's Data Protection Officer is Drew Powell.
If you have any queries about our privacy notices or would like to exercise your data rights or make a complaint, please contact the Data Protection Officer
- telephoning 01822 813600 or
- writing to them at the address above
If you are not happy with how we have handled your complaint, you have the right to contact the Information Commissioner's Office to raise your concerns about how we have processed your information or how we have responded to your request to exercise any of your rights in relation to your information:
- Telephone them on 0303 123 1113
- Visit their website at www.ico.org.uk/concerns
- Write to them at:
Information Commissioner's Office