West Devon Borough Council takes your privacy seriously.
We will use photography, videography and a video-capable drone to capture images of Council Services (i.e. engineering, housing and planning) and our staff to highlight the work we carry out to our residents and visitors. These images are also used as marketing to promote the District and Borough for tourism purposes.
This notice sets out what we will do with your personal information and who we may share it with in respect of the above.
What information about you do we collect?
We collect the following information:
- Every effort will be made to avoid filming members of the public, unless consent has been given.
- Where consent is not given, as a standard practice, any images of people or vehicles that could reasonably assist in identifying a person/persons will be obscured in our final edit before publication.
How do we collect information about you?
Relevant personal data will be collected:
- Photography and video is often obtained as part of an organised video call or interview. Participants will be required to sign the Council's consent form, which informs the Council where and how their image can be used.
How will your personal data be used?
Your personal data may be used in the following ways:
- For use in our promotion and marketing materials, including:
- Print material (posters, flyers, leaflets)
- Social media
- Email communications
- Shared with relevant partner agencies e.g. The Police/Fire/County or local District Council etc.
The Legal basis for processing your data
Your personal data is processed under the following legal basis:
Article 6 1(a) the data subject has given consent to the processing of his or her personal data for one or more specific purposes.
You are entitled to withdraw your consent at any time, at which point we must cease from processing your personal data.
In instances where members of the public are captured in footage, but not identifiable we will rely on Article 6(1)(f) Legitimate Interests to process the data.
If you wish to withdraw your consent, please Email.
Who will your personal data be shared with?
Personal data will be used by the Council's Communications Team for promotional and marketing purposes. This will involve publishing our images and video on printed material, our websites and social media, therefore putting them into the public domain.
The Councils will never sell your data to anyone else, however we may share campaigns with other local statutory partners, such as the Police, Fire, NHS and local councils, if there is a statutory need.
Transferring of data outside the EU
Your data will not be transferred outside the EU. It will be securely stored electronically within the UK only, unless it was necessary for safeguarding or for the prevention and detection of crime.
Length of time we keep your information
The Councils will retain personal data for no longer than 5 years from the date the image or video was taken.
You have a number of rights under the General Data Protection Regulations. These can be found on the ICO website.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please Email
The Data Controller for your information
West Devon Borough Council
Data Protection Officer
The Council has a duty to appoint a Data Protection Officer. The Council's Data Protection Officer is Drew Powell.
If you have any queries about our privacy notices or would like to exercise your data rights or make a complaint, please contact the Data Protection Officer by
- telephoning 01822 813600 or
- writing to them at the address above
If you are not happy with how we have handled your complaint, you have the right to contact the Information Commissioner's Office to raise your concerns about how we have processed your information or how we have responded to your request to exercise any of your rights in relation to your information: