Toggle menu

Household Support Fund

We are providing help for households struggling with the costs of essentials this winter.


The West Devon Household Support Fund is open until the end March 2022.

It is funded by the Department for Work and Pensions through Devon County Council.

If you are finding it hard to afford food or energy costs or any other essential expenses, we want to hear from you. You can apply whether you receive any welfare benefits or not. You just need to be over 16, live in the South Hams and struggling to meet your essential costs.

The priority for the fund is to make sure you have enough food and fuel, but we can also look at other essential expenses. Some of the things we can help with include:

  • Buying food for you and your family
  • Paying your energy bills or topping up your meter
  • Paying your water bill
  • Warm clothing or blankets
  • Essential repairs or replacement of electrical appliances or heating equipment.

We can also help if you are struggling to afford essentials because of rent, mortgage or Council Tax payments including arrears.

What might I receive?

Depending on your needs and circumstances we can approve your case in the following ways.

  • Direct payment of money to a nominated bank account
  • Items purchased on your behalf and delivered to your nominated address
  • Referral to other relevant organisations that can meet your needs
  • A combination of the above

The maximum award will not normally exceed £200.00

How do I apply?

Please use the button below to apply.

Apply to the Household Support Fund

You may ask someone to help you, or fill it out on your behalf if needed.

We will ask questions about

  • Who you are
  • What your circumstances are
  • What help you need from us

We do request documents, but do not worry if you are not able to provide anything. You will still be able to fill in the form.

Please be sure to provide accurate contact information, particularly a phone number.

Repeat applications will be considered on a case by case basis. However, further awards made out of the fund may be dependent on other work and referrals to partner agencies/organisations with the agreement of the applicant.

What happens after I apply?

We are receiving high numbers of requests at the moment and are working hard to get the support to everyone who needs it as quickly as possible.

If you receive an email receipt after you complete the form, you can be assured that we have received your request and will contact you as soon as we can.

There is no need to call to check on progress unless you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of making your claim.

Where can I find more information?

For more information about the Household Support fund, please read our policy

You can read about how the Council processes your personal data here.

There is also more information from Devon County Council and Gov.UK

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email