We Stand With Ukraine
We want to reach out to all of our Ukrainian residents, and anyone with friends and families affected by, or concerned about, events in Ukraine.
In Devon, we welcome refugees seeking a safe home in our communities. In recent years we have welcomed refugees from Syria and Afghanistan, and we will do what we can to support people escaping war in Ukraine.
Last summer, we received an overwhelming number of incredibly generous offers of support from people across both South Hams and West Devon in response to the crisis in Afghanistan. We know that the people of Devon will want to show the same compassionate welcome to people fleeing Ukraine.
Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme
The UK government has published guidance for Ukrainian nationals and their family members to come to the UK under the Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme. The Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme allows Ukrainian nationals and their family members to come to the UK if they have a named sponsor under the Homes for Ukraine Scheme.
It is free to apply and Ukrainians can stay in the UK for up to three years. Ukrainians will be able to live, work and study in the UK and access public funds.
If your guests have arrived, use the button below to let us know. This will register your guest(s) for their emergency welcome payment and you as the host for your monthly thank you payment.
If you are hosting guests, you can find the answers to some commonly asked questions below:
If you are interested in sponsorship, you can find all the information you need on the Devon County Council website.
The Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) is coordinating the Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal.
- DEC brings together 15 leading UK aid charities, raising funds to respond to overseas disasters quickly and effectively
- The DEC said the message from aid workers was that "money was needed rather than specific donated items, which are often not necessarily what people require and are difficult to transport"
To donate directly to the Ukrainian government use the website withukraine.org, run by the Embassy of Ukraine to the UK.
To make a donation towards the UN's humanitarian work in Ukraine, please visit Ukrainian Humanitarian Fund UN Crisis Relief.
There are many other charities collecting donations, both financial and supplies such as food and clothing. The Charity Commission and Fundraising Regulator have urged the public to 'give safely' to registered charities helping and supporting those affected by the invasion of Ukraine.
Ukraine embassy in London
If you are a resident with friends and family in Ukraine and need information or support about what is happening please contact the Ukrainian Embassy in London:
- Address: 60 Holland Park, London W11 3SJ United Kingdom
- Telephone: 020 7727 6312
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For official information on travel advice to and from Ukraine visit GOV.UK.
Ukraine Family Scheme visa
Barnardo's Ukrainian Support Helpline
The helpline is available to anyone who has fled the conflict in Ukraine. It is staffed by English, Ukrainian and Russian speakers, to offer support to children and families arriving in the UK from Ukraine.
Free travel for Ukrainians
The UK Rail Delivery Group is offering free travel to Ukrainian nationals travelling to the UK on National Rail services, to help them get to a safe place.
For parents of young children or young people
With the situation developing in Ukraine, your children may be asking questions that you are unsure how to answer.
- If you have a child in a Devon school who is affected by the crisis, please talk to your child's teachers about any concerns you have and the support you would like the school to provide
- Newsround, from the BBC's CBBC channel, has trusted videos and reports about the war in Ukraine that have been produced specifically for children
- Newsround also has a section for children offering advice if they are upset by the news
- Place2Be's educational psychologists have also shared advice about how to discuss war and conflict with children and young people - and how you can best support them at this difficult and worrying time
If you are able to offer support to refugees other than accommodation or finance, please contact the Council using email@example.com. This could be schemes like social gatherings for refugees in the area, help with transport, childcare, job applications and other support.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can find the answers to some frequently asked questions about Ukraine and the support that is available here.