Standards - Complaints about Councillors

Information about councillor standards, the Code of Conduct, and how to make a complaint about a councillor.

Our Code of Conduct sets out the standards of behaviour we expect from all West Devon Borough Councillors. Town and Parish Councils in our area also have a code of conduct setting out the standards of behaviour expected from their councillors.

You can read the Councillors' Code of Conduct here.

If you think that a Councillor or a Councillor belonging to a town or parish council in our area has not behaved as expected, you can make a standards complaint. 

How to make a Standards Complaint

Standards complaints must be in writing and explain the part of the code that you think the Councillor has breached together with your reasons. You need only provide the essential facts at this stage. If your complaint proceeds to an investigation we will contact you for additional information.

Please read the Guidance Notes.

Make a Standards Complaint

We can help you if you have a disability that prevents you from making your complaint or makes it difficult for you to submit your complaint in writing. We can also help if English is not your first language. 

If you need any support in completing this form, please let us know as soon as possible. You can contact us at

Where can I find out more?

You can find out more in our Councillor Complaint Process.

This includes the decisions that the Monitoring Officer can make on your complaint.

Standards Complaints - Decision Notices

We will publish standards complaints decisions where there has been a breach of the Code (or where the Councillor has requested publication of the Decision on a finding of no further action).  The following decision notices have been published since May 2019.